LIFEGUARD JOBS FOR 15 YEAR OLDS
Why am I writing about lifeguard jobs in January? Because part of getting a good summer job is planning ahead and this is really important if you are seeking a pool job, such as being a summer life guard. Becoming a lifeguard is one of the real jobs for 15 year olds that you can actually qualify for and get!
If you want to become a life guard it requires specialized training so you can become certified. Also, certification only lasts a certain amount of time and then you need to take a re-certification course, which is usually cheaper and not as long as the original course. If you think this may be the type of job you are interested in, please see the information below on how to make it a reality.
Lifeguard information sites:
To become a lifeguard you must be at least 15 years of age and successfully complete a lifeguard training course which is 30 – 37 hours in length depending on the type of lifeguard certification you are wanting to earn.
The four types of lifeguarding are:
1. Traditional lifeguard – lifeguard working at traditional pools
2. Waterfront lifeguard – lifeguards at non-surf, open water areas like lakes, rivers, and traditional pools
3. Waterpark lifeguard – lifeguards at water parks, multi-attraction facilities, and traditional pools
4. Shallow Water Attendant – lifeguard that only work in areas with water that is up to 4 feet deep.
Lifeguard certification is usually valid for 3 years. At that time you will need to take re-rcertification course.
Most lifeguards usually also need to take a first aid/CPR or first aid/CPR/AED course. This may be included in some of the lifeguard certification courses. However, these certificates usually last only 2 years.
It is important to stay up on the different types of certification and expiration dates, since they are not all the same.
Once you have your lifeguard certification you can also look into these other jobs:
1) When you turn 16 years of age you can become certified to teach swimming lessons or become a swim coach.
2) When you are 17 and have a basic lifeguarding certificate you can take classes to become a lifeguarding instructor.